Slight Band History:
Reel Big Fish originally was a trio band formed by vocalist/guitarist Aaron Barret, bassist Matt Wong and drummer Andrew Gonzales. The group was a conventional rock band with pop-metal leanings that covered both classic and top 40 songs. After some month the band discovered Ska and decided to add horn players. The only one remaining from the original members is vocalist/guitarist Aaron Barret. They in one point got mainstream attention by their single “Sell Out” that became an MTV favorite and was played in modern rock radio stations. They then lost mainstream success and didn’t sign in a label company and went independent. They now have an underground cult following.
Genre: Ska Punk, Third Wave Ska, Alternative Rock
Name Origin: There is three versions on whats the origin of the name is, one could be true or all of them or neither of them, with that said here are the three name origins:
1. It was made by the bass player, Matt Wong. They all liked sushi and joked around with the band being named “Big Fish” then they added “Real” then changed it to “Reel”
2.They got it from a fishing shop in the L.B.C called Reel Big Fish, symbolizing that catching fish isn’t as hard as becoming famous.
3. It’s a reference on how you’re just a little fish in the sea and is hard to stay alive and not get eaten like being famous, but whenever you get the chance you should reel in a big fish.
- Studio albums:
- Everything Sucks (1995)
- Turn the Radio Off (1996)
- Why Do They Rock So Hard? (1998)
- Cheer Up! (2002)
- We’re Not Happy ‘Til You’re Not Happy (2005)
- Monkeys for Nothin’ and the Chimps for Free (2007)
- Fame, Fortune and Fornication (2009)
- Candy Coated Fury (2012)
From: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Fun Facts About The Band:
1. The band appeared in the movie BASEketball performing.(video)
2.After the release of “Cheer up!” Aaron felt that it didn’t had enough Ska, starting another band called “The Forces Of Evil” with it’s album “Friend Or F.O.E”.
3. Matt Appleton, RBF saxophone player was from “Goldfinger”.
4. Aaron’s first album was the “Ghostbuster” Soundtrack.
The first song I heard from this band was their cover of “Take On Me” from A-Ha, which I liked a lot but never really looked them up or checked their songs out, but then I found a video on newgrounds.com called “I Know You Too Well” by Spazkid and I recognized the band quickly but like I said, I haven’t heard any of their songs. I quickly came to enjoy this video and liked the song so much that I just had to look for more. Too make the story short. They are now one of my favorite bands. Ever. In which I can’t even tell you guys which songs I like because there so many that it will be quicker to tell you which songs I dislike. I could say my favorite one is “I Know You Too Well To Like You Anymore” because it was the one that basically introduce me to the band. So if you want to get all energetic and jump around while shouting very mean things hear this band, it will not disappoint, from their loud songs, fun songs, covers and even slow chill back songs you are sure to find a song that suits you.
If you find this band interesting and want to see more check them
If you think i’ve missed something,disagree,agree or wanna add anything, comment!